Monday, March 31, 2014

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~Helen Keller

It's so hard to believe that an entire year has gone by already. I'm still very much in a daze and in denial that Mom is no longer with us. It's like my senses have been dulled or I'm underwater, slow motion, dream like, stuck in mud. Where has this last year gone? The winter was harsh and still hasn't entirely released its grip on us, as though the seasons are also still in mourning just as I am.

I wear her ashes in a heart shaped locket around my neck. Buried some at the base of the pine tree we planted at my aunt's house some 24 years ago. Look at the pictures and remember the many laughs we had.

Many people have asked how they can help and my answer is still, I don't know. I don't know because I don't know what actually WOULD help in dealing with grief, other than time. There are ways you may help others with cancer by volunteering your time with The American Cancer Society - Get Involved, or with local hospitals. Do a walk/run with friends for a program that donates directly to specific cancer programs such as Susan G Komen Race For The Cure. Or simply pay it forward in honor of a lovely little girl who lost her battle shortly before my mother did, with Addison's Random Acts of Kindness.

Some things that don't help?

  • Save the TaTas nonsense. A woman is more than just a pair of tits. Stop it. Save the WOMEN and stop acting as though a pair of mams are what make a woman feminine or womanly. 
  • #NoMakeUpSelfies without the more important second half which was DONATING TO CANCER RESEARCH. A random photo you filter on instagram is not going to fight cancer. Women should not be ashamed of looking "tired" or not all made up. Also, most of those nomakeupselfies the people were still wearing makeup? Which, why? Just don't. Don't make this very serious, not vain, not cutesy disease about YOU and just donate quietly without the need for the pat on the back. 
  • Buying pink stuff because pink = breast cancer! I can easily say most of us could live without a pink plastic water bottle. Again, just donate to a good cause and leave the stuff out of it. Not only does it cost money to make those items, in turn taking away from the amount the charity actually gets to utilize, it will end up on a shelf collecting dust. 

I miss my mother every single day. A part of me is irretrievably broken. A sense of security that was always innate is now gone. Please, do what you can to minimize your own risk. Curb the smoking, drink in moderation, do your self checks and get your annual check ups regularly. XoXo

No comments:

Post a Comment